Do you have a book to write? A story to tell? Should you write a book?
We all have a story to tell – whether it’s the story of our life, the things we’ve learnt or a far away land that we’ve created in our imagination. Documenting your story is a way of imortalising your life, recording your history, making your mark.
We could argue that it doesn’t really matter if one person reads it or a million read it, it’s your story.
But let’s face it. If we go to the effort of putting pen to paper, it would be nice if it was something that more than one person wanted to read – which means you have to publish it.
Thanks to the internet and all the clever people and tools online, it’s never been easier to publish a book.
Finding where and how to start however can be super daunting.
So we asked Chandler Bolt from Self-Publishing School for his top tips. Chandler was a special guest and speaker at our recent event- Digital Marketer Down Under.
This is Chandler’s 15 step process:
- Write with a Purpose—Find Your “Why”
- Get Rid of Your Excuses (like you’re not an expert, you don’t have time or don’t know how)
- Realize You Don’t Need to Be Perfect
- Plan When You’ll Write and set small milestones / deadlines
- Create Your Writing Environment (think distractions, decor and sound)
- Equip Yourself with the Right Tools (like word, Scrivner, google docs)
- Come Up With Your Book Idea
- Don’t Censor Yourself
- Take a Reader-Centric Perspective
- Figure Out Which Book You Should Write First
- Come Up With a Title
- Fill Out The BookMap
- Turn Your BookMap Into an Outline
- Capture More Notes with The Sticky Note Method
- Now Write Your Book…One Chapter at a Time
To find out more about this process and the tools and tricks Chandler uses to
- Beat writers block,
- Edit and format
- Launch and market your book
Check out his comprehensive guide to “How to Write a Book”