Spring heralds the return of more light, new life and the warmth of the sun after the cold of winter. It’s a time of great celebration for the days becomes longer and there is more light to enjoy all the wonders that life offers.
The spring equinox, or vernal equinox (usually in the last week of September in Australia) is an astronomical event that occurs when the plane of the earth’s equator passes through the center of the sun, and the day and night is roughly the same length across the planet. NASA explains that equinox is Latin for “equal night”.
The ancients and the mystics recognised the spring equinox as a time when light and the power of the sun returns to the earth. A time to plant new seeds, and watch as the earth offers fresh foods and new life, much needed for their own survival.
To herald the return of the sun the ancients celebrated the spring equinox with rituals and festivals. From decorating their homes with the freshness of spring, to intention setting rituals using candles and colour, to simply sharing some spring produce with their families. It was a time of rebirth and renewal and clearing away the old energy left over from winter and welcoming in the new possibilities that come with spring.
Both as a therapist and in my own spiritual life I like to live in awareness of the changing seasons and to find ways that honour the gifts of each season. Anyone who knows me well, knows that the arrival of spring is a time where I do squeal with delight… “Spring is HERE!”
As the sun warms each day I literally feel a sense of reassurance and more freedom. The spring equinox offers an opportunity to celebrate so many aspects of life. Rebirth, renewal and expressing creativity are all synonymous with the spring equinox and there are many traditions that you can enjoy in the modern day to herald the coming of the spring equinox.
- Ask your self, what does spring mean to you? What does this season represent? From the promise that summer is coming, to a deep connection with the new life beginning to bloom all around of you. As you wake each morning, take a moment to say thank you for all that spring means to you.
- Complete an energetic clearing of your home. From smudging to a little home based ritual there are so many ways you can clear, shift and the set the vibration of your home
- Bring the freshness of spring .into your home with fresh flowers and essential oils. My favourite essential oils for the spring equinox are Wild Orange, Geranium, Peppermint, Lavender and Ylang Ylang. As you fill your home with fresh flowers and diffuse a selection of oils your home will smell like the freshness of spring.
- Watch the sunrise and the sunset. For me watching a sun rise is like a massage for my senses. I feel so revived and connected to our beautiful earth for the rest of the day. Given the significance of the 12 hours of sunlight; the sunrise on the spring equinox offers a beautiful opportunity to connect with nature and nurture your senses.
- This is a great time of the year to be outside and notice the flowers blooming and the earth waking up from the long sleep of winter. It is a beautiful time of year where nature provides us with the greatest natural slideshow.
- Set fresh intentions that focus upon any area of your life you wish to grow. Often as we come out of winter it has been a time a retreat and reflection. We emerge with some clear ideas about what we need to clear and what we want to create in our lives. Use the energy of this special day to light a candle, place some fresh flowers on the table and write a list of all that you have learnt during the winter and also intentions about how you wish to experience your best life.