Do you know what ingredient needs more recognition? Lime. While we all praise lemon like the holy grail – drinking it in the morning, squeezing it onto salads and making lemonade with it, it’s poor little sidekick, lime, always gets left behind. He’s literally the middle child of the citrus family.
Lime is so much more than just zest to add to a drink; it can boost your overall complexion, immunity and help cleanse the body.
So, what do you do when life gives you lemons? Push them to the side and ask for limes instead.
Limes are an extremely good source of Vitamin C, as well as dietary fibre, calcium, iron, potassium, copper, magnesium and phosphorus. They can be consumed orally or used topically to protect the skin from infections. Similar to lemon, limes can even aid the digestion process and relieve constipation.
What’s the best way to celebrate mother nature’s beautiful limey gift?
There’s something about lime tarts that make me really happy. They’re equally creamy and tarty, tangy and sweet, satisfying and crisp with a crumbly texture.
I’d like to say my Lime Tarts are the perfect dessert for the warmer seasons of the year, but really, they’re a good all-year rounder; so friends in the Southern hemisphere, it’s time to get on these!
Raw Lime Tarts are not quite the norm, but they’re bursting with healthy fats, in the form of cashews, coconut, coconut oil, coconut cream and cacao butter, to keep your skin glowing! They’re also high in dietary fibre to help keep you regular.
Just in case you wanted to add a little boost of gut love to these tarts, because they’re raw and you want them to be absorbed better, don’t worry – I’ve gut you covered! I’ve added Love Your Gut Powder to take the health benefits of this dessert to the next level. Love Your Gut Powder will help cleanse the body, assist in detoxification and improve your overall nutrient absorption. It’s also rich in iron to naturally increase energy levels.
I love this raw recipe because it’s SO much easier to make than a baked one! Who wants to wait for dessert to rise or constantly watch the oven when ‘The Great British Bake Off’ is on the telly? Not me, that’s for sure.
This crazy dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan remake of your favourite traditional dessert is one not to miss.
Oh, and for those of you who don’t like to share, especially when it comes to dessert, you can make these raw lime tarts mini-sized and enjoy one by yourself! That’ll teach you – dessert stealers.
I hope you love these Raw Lime Tarts as much as I do!
Mini Lime Tarts
Makes: 6 medium or 12 mini tarts
- 250g cashews (can be soaked for 2 hours previously)
- 1 ½ cups dessicated coconut
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons rice malt syrup
- 2 tablespoons Love Your Gut Powder
- 250ml coconut cream
- 3 tablespoons cacao butter
- 10 drops liquid stevia
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- Zest of two limes and juice of one
- Grease 8 individual tart tins with a light layer of coconut oil.
- To make the base, combine cashews, coconut, coconut oil, rice malt syrup and powder in a food processor until a crumbly dough forms.
- Neatly press into the tart tins and place in the freezer for two hours to set.
- After 1 ½ hours, prepare the filling by gently heating coconut cream and cacao butter in a small saucepan over a low heat. Transfer to a bowl and stir in stevia, vanilla and lime. Place bowl in the freezer for 15 minutes to let it cool slightly.
- To assemble the tarts, carefully pour filling into the tart shells and leave to set in the fridge for at least 1 hour or until needed. Serve with extra lime slices, lime zest and a dollop of coconut yoghurt if desired!