Over the years I’ve been asked by many a magazine beauty editor, “what is your beauty secret?”, like I’ve stumbled across a fountain of youth somewhere in my travels and am keeping it to myself. But of course there is no such thing.
Looking your best comes down to your approach to life. Do you have a proactive attitude to your health and make commitments, or do you just go with the flow and see where life takes you? I sit firmly in the first camp. Perhaps it’s a legacy from my early days of modelling when I was forced to focus entirely on my looks and on how to preserve that beauty for as long as possible… so being lazy was not an option.
There are, of course, a few rules I have always abided by that are part of a routine I find hard to break:
- Stick to a daily skin-care regime, cleanse, hydrate and protect. So moisturise big time and use a good sunscreen. Remember to exfoliate regularly as well.
- Drink water! Not a couple of glasses but at least 1.5–2 litres a day.
- Exercise, move your butt! Whether a little or a lot, it’s up to you – but no excuses. Use it or lose it.
- Get a massage. It’s been proven that the power of healing hands can strengthen the immune system. Keep it strong and respect it… you only have the one.
- Avoid eating too much fatty food and sugar. I’m far from perfect and love my indulgences, but generally I have a fairly healthy diet – chicken, fish, salads, etc – and steer clear of deep-fried food, soft drinks and too many sweets.
- Supplements. It’s important to consider that our personal diet choices may not always be giving the body what it needs to maintain good health. Our lifestyle can also impact greatly on how we feel inside. Recognising that I’m no angel, I have been taking vitamins and supplements for years.
For me, I take:
- Magnesium, which I know helps with stress and also supports my tired, sore muscles after working out.
- Vitamin C daily to strengthen my immune system and help keep the dreaded lurgies at bay.
- Omega-3 (fish oil) to help reduce inflammation.
- Vitamin B to give me energy and a helping hand after a big night.
- Anthogenol, a brilliant, world-class antioxidant that repairs all the damage I’ve done to myself over the years!
- Silica. I have rarely enjoyed long, strong nails as they’re always splitting and breaking. That is until recently, when Blooms sent me a couple of packets of silica. In a matter of a few weeks I noticed I was getting some length to my nails and they were much stronger… makes you want to run out for a manicure. So I’ve added that to my routine as well.
- And finally, milk thistle, because I love my wine! A naturopath told me recently that this magic flower (also known as St Mary’s Thistle) is brilliant for supporting the regeneration of liver cells. Appreciating that our social schedules can overwhelm us at times, particularly in the silly season, I’d stock up on this one big time.
There is no magic to looking your best, it just comes down to how much you respect your body and taking the time to give it the support it needs and to nurture it and care for it.