Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours 10 minutes
Makes 4 – 6 portions
2 sticks celery, diced
1 onion, peeled and diced
600g corn kernels, fresh, frozen or canned
1 tsp ground white pepper
1 tbs mustard powder
Murray River salt flakes, to taste
60ml olive oil
1kg free range chicken
1 bunch lemon thyme
4 sprigs rosemary
baby corn, optional
Sour cream, finely sliced chives and crusty bread to serve
- Place the celery, onion, corn, spices, salt and olive oil into a 4 litre capacity solid steam tray. Pressure Steam at 120°C for 10 minutes or Steam at 100°C for 30 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife or cleaver, cut the chicken into four pieces. Keeping the meat on the bone with skin intact, cut into 2 supremes and 2 marylands. Tie the base of the thyme and rosemary with kitchen twine to hold it together during cooking.
- Add the chicken pieces to the tray and Steam at 100°C for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove the herb stems and discard. Remove the chicken pieces, ensuring that there are no bones left in the soup and set aside for 5-10 minutes to cool in a bowl. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the bones and skin, then shred the chicken meat into small pieces.
- Return half of the chicken to the soup and blend into a puree using an immersion blender. A high speed blender can be used to gain a finer texture if desired. Place the remaining chicken onto a separate Solid steam tray and into the Oven along with the puréed soup. Reheat on Steam at 100°C for 10 minutes.
Ladle the soup into bowls and top with pieces of shredded chicken and baby corn. Add a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of chives before serving with crusty bread.
HINTS AND TIPS
- Corn can be replaced with other vegetables such as pumpkin, diced potato and mushroom.
- For a vegetarian soup, omit chicken at step 3 and increase vegetable quantity. Reduce cooking time by 10 minutes.
- For a flavoursome chicken stock replace the corn with 1 carrot and the chicken pieces with chicken bones. Strain the liquid after cooking without blending through a sieve and discard the solids.
Appliance/Function: Pressure Steam Oven, Steam Oven