We can’t stop the ageing process – but we can age with beauty and grace.
We can look to cosmetic procedures and miracle products to turn back the clock but the reality is that the most powerful solution for healthy glowing skin is to adopt a simple yet effective daily routine that combines the best products for our skin type with good health and nutrition.
As a stylist the most common beauty feedback I receive from women is that they feel trapped in a beauty rut and don’t know how to get out. In the age of 21st century beauty where the advancement of skin treatments and products changes almost daily, the beauty quest can be daunting.
So what are some simple steps that you can follow to change or improve your beauty routine and get you out of that beauty rut?
- Research: Go to beauty counters, online or buy the latest magazines to determine what beauty strategy and products fit within your skin type, budget and lifestyle. Alternatively ask your friends – sometimes the best solutions come from personal recommendations.
- Personalise: Are there any particular issues you want to address or reassess? Do you suffer sensitive skin, do you want to reduce redness, has your skin become dry?
- KISS: Apply the KISS rule (based on the steps below) to your daily beauty routine. A simple routine can produce the best results.
- Avoid Overload: Beauty companies tell you that ‘more is more’ (in order to grow profits). Adopt the ‘less is more’ and avoid skin product overload.
- Quantity Does Not Mean Quality: Don’t fall into the trap of the more expensive the product the better it is. Sure the products may contain ‘gold’ but often the miniscule amount is of no real benefit.
- Build: Once you have determined your basic routine you can explore additional options in terms of additional products, advanced skin treatments and cosmetic options
THE KISS RULE – THE DAILY STEPS TO GOOD SKIN
- Twice daily cleanse
- ALWAYS remove makeup before bed
- A gentle daily exfoliation removes dry skin and avoids makeup build up (reduce if necessary depending on your skin type)
Other benefits such as weekly masks and regular facials are also excellent to maintain good skin health.
GOOD SKIN – IT’S A REGULAR GIG
Unfortunately as we age we need to spend a little more time caring for our skin and make it a daily habit to produce the best results. However if you stay focused and put in a little effort now to get it right, you will reap the beauty benefits for years to come.