Makeup and beauty. Why do these two little words make the most accomplished and confident of women over 40 shake in their Louboutin stilettos?
Simplistically it’s probably largely due to the fact that we live in a society where the message is that age and beauty are mutually exclusive. How then can the grown-up woman rise to the challenge of maintaining a healthy connection between getting older and feeling beautiful?
As a stylist my advice to women over 40 is about balance – balance knowledge and practical skills with a healthy mind and body.
As we get older we need to re-evaluate and adjust our beauty regime to our age and skin type. What worked for us at 20 is not going to cut it when we are 40 and beyond.
Take inspiration from celebrities who are ageing well such as Elle Macpherson, Cindy Crawford and Naomi Watts. When asked the question as to what is their secret to ageless beauty, the answer is the same – attitude, confidence and good health combined with a simple but effective makeup and beauty routine.
You don’t need an elaborate skincare routine or the most expensive products for good skin and beauty – all you need is a simple daily routine with products that work best for you. Follow a few simple beauty rules to help you to age with grace and confidence like Elle and Cindy:
- Less is more – a little less makeup and lots more attitude and confidence
- Maintenance – a daily skin care routine helps skin look as healthy as possible
- Practice – make good skin care and makeup a daily habit
- Holistic attitude – a combination of good health and a stress-free lifestyle leads to a more beautiful you
- Knowledge – understand the tools and products you need that work best for your needs and skin type
I leave you with a quote from Audrey Hepburn:
“Make-up can only make you look pretty on the outside but it doesn’t help if you’re ugly on the inside. Unless you eat the makeup”.
Stay beautiful Balance readers x